Our family

Our family
Robertson Family

Sunday, September 10, 2017

School, Skunks, and Music!

Skunks! That's really what we did this week, we trapped and got rid of skunks. I realize that skunks help keep down on grubs, insects and mice; however, Roger is not a fan of tip-toeing to his car in order to not scare the skunk! We've seen a few hanging around our house, and Roger had a few close encounters with one this week. So the kids and Roger set a live trap for the skunk. In the morning, we had one in there. The boys were so excited that they had caught something, and I was wondering how we would get rid of it now! Roger is a great at marksmanship, and he did eliminate the skunk. Unfortunately, as with most dead things, when something dies, it releases it's body functions. Any guesses as to what our yard smells like?! We also had a short lesson on skunks as the boys were very interested. Did you know that a skunk sprays only a tablespoon of stench at a time? And they can spray up to six times before they run out of stink? Then it takes the skunk ten days to refill his scent gland, but you have no way of knowing which day he is on in refilling his stink!! Later this week, Chandler filled the trap again with some leftover food, and we caught another skunk. This time Roger had not placed the trap though, so getting a good shot was a bit more of a challenge! We actually hadn't realized that Chandler had set the trap, so when he came dashing into the house on Sunday morning, we didn't realize why he was so excited! Thankfully, he had snuck up on the skunk! Chandler had also had put a mouse trap in the live trap, so the mouse trap was stuck on the skunks nose! (Why did he put the mouse trap in the live trap? Um, we have no idea!!)  So, just a few days ago our yard smelled like skunk, and the stench was starting to wane. But now we are back to having a stinky yard! Oh well!!

Roger worked last Monday, which was also Labor Day. The kids and I just spent the day at home. It definitely wasn't the most exciting day ever, but I didn't feel up to going anywhere without Roger. Besides, the boys were completely content to stay at home and make trails with the dirt bike!    

Tuesday we returned to school! The boys are adjusting back into the routine, and this week seemed a    bit easier. Emma wants to go to school every day, but she also enjoys the more personal time with Dad and Mom! After we dropped the boys off at school, we visited with Pastor and Mrs. Welch. He is the pastor of a church near our home, and visited at their church several times. They are getting up in years, and they enjoy it when we stop by for a visit. The summer was so crazy that we didn't get over ther much, and I'm trying to do better now that school has resumed.
 


On Thursday we had our first Parents group meeting. I have been praying diligently for this group over the summer, and I know that God is going to do great things! I'm excited about working with these parents, and I'm praying for continued unity and spiritual growth. We could also use some physical growth, as in more parents to come and join us! I also spent part of the day prepping and preparing for hot lunch on Friday. We are attempting to have hot lunch every Friday, so we will see how it goes. Again, we need a few more sets of hands to lighten the load!
Friday was a long day for me! Emma had school in the morning, and I played the piano for chapel. It's an opportunity to serve the Lord and to refresh my own spirit. After chapel, I spent the morning getting ready for hot lunch. I wasn't able to be there for the actual hot lunch, as I had a meeting with a few of the teachers and some others to discuss one of our children. Definitely not one of my favorite meetings ever, but it was necessary as we seek wisdom and direction on how to help this child  succeed in school. Education isn't everything, but it is important. I want to know how I can best equip  myself to help our children succeed. I'm sure there will be more on that later. Suffice it to say, it was a difficult meeting, and when one of our teachers found be afterwards and offered a hug, I willingly  accepted!

After cleaning up from hot lunch, Emma and I went to visit a couple from our church. They've had a few health problems as of late, and I wanted to touch base and talk to them. I also realized as I sat on their couch, that I was tired! It was good for Emma and I to visit with them, and I'm glad we did it. Then we headed back to school to get the boys. Garett and Wyatt started piano lessons today (Friday)  so the other boys hung out on the playground at school. Thankfully, it was a beautiful day today and perfect outside weather! Another mom came down to the playground for a bit also, so I enjoyedtalked with her. However, we were all more than happy to go home once the boys were done with lessons! Since we aren't able to afford for all the boys to take piano lessons, they are going to rotate weeks. Garett and Wyatt had a lesson on Friday, so next Friday it will be Chandler and Travis' turn to have a lesson. This way we pay for lessons for two children, but all four boys get two lessons a month. It's not ideal, and I know that they will progress slower. However, I thought it was pretty creative of me to think that plan up!! Something is better than nothing!
  


Roger worked on Saturday, but Garett and Wyatt were able to spend part of the afternoon there at the airport. They really enjoy hanging out there, but it's definitely not Chandlers thing! It is a blessing that it's a way that the boys can spend some time with Roger as sometimes time together is hard to come by.

Sunday was another day to worship the Lord and to fellowship with the believers. I'm glad that we have a church that we can hear the Bible preached, sing unto the Lord, and fellowship with other people. Later in the afternoon, I came back to the church to work on preparing for music class on Monday. I will be teaching music at the school this year, and I am exited about the opportunity. It's a big challenge, and I don't have a whole lot of experience with this particular field of teaching. However, I feel like I am ready for tomorrow. I have a Christmas program picked out, and we will be hitting the ground running to get it together for our program in December. I'd also appreciate your prayers for wisdom, grace, and direction as I teach these students about music.

Our love to you,
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment