Our family

Our family
Robertson Family

Sunday, September 14, 2014

Friendships

If there is one thing I've really learned this summer, it's how valuable and irreplaceable good friends are in my life. Although many hands have helped me over the last fifteen weeks, I'm thankful for friends who look behind the cheerful smile and upbeat words. Honestly, I don't feel like a hypocrite for smiling and saying the "right" words (at least not most of the time), because who wants to hear a 15 minute dissertation on what I might really be thinking! :) However, I do have a few close friends that really do ask what's going on, how they can pray, and what I'm really thinking. I try not to unload too much, and I do have to be very careful about what I say in front of the boys as I don't want to hurt their feelings or make things rougher for them. Usually, if I'm emotional, they also become emotional and life quickly becomes a basket case scenario! We've survived thus far, so no quitting now!

Saturday, September 13, 2014
Busy, busy day! We left home about 8:15 this morning, and we met up with a friend, Autumn, and her baby, Logan, at church. We all piled (quite literally) into our station wagon, and headed up to Kaukauna to support the Women's assurance Center's walk/run for life. It was a rather chilly morning, but at least it wasn't raining! 

I was a little worried that we weren't going to make it to the park in time for the run/walk, but I needn't have worried as we had plenty of time. I signed up for the race, and asked Autumn to watch my kids. :) Thankfully, my sister in law, Allison, was there too, so she offered to help watch the kids too. There was a fairly good turnout for the event, and I heard that more came this year than last year. The Center had organized a few games for people to play, a pie and chili contest, a bounce house for the kids, a silent auction, and the walk/run. 

At 10:30, the walk/run started. There were fourteen runners with that being males and females, so it wasn't a big race crowd. :) There were about five of us that started out together in the front, and and quickly put some distance between ourselves and the other runners. However, when the trail split, we weren't sure which way to go. :) We ended up picking the wrong direction, which we realized after we had gone about .2 of a mile and ended up at the steps to a baseball field. So we turned around, and then everyone who had followed us turned around as well. However, that meant that I was now not nearly as close to the front! Oh well...extra steps on my fitbit. And since I don't give up easily, I was determined to try to catch back up. So myself and another guy passed everyone back up, and then kept pace to the uphill before the turn around to come back on the trail. We both made it easily up the hill, but all those years of hill training in cross county came back to me. :) I got a good lead on the downhill, and I was determined to try to keep it. :) It was tempting to slow up when I couldn't hear anyone breathing behind me, but again memories of our cross country coach repeating, "never look back, don't slow up" kept resounding in my head. So, I did end up first across the finish line, which is a first for me. I ended up running 3.42 miles instead of the 3.1 race that everyone else ran, but oh well, it was a lot of fun. My favorite part was listening to the boys tell Roger about the race. :) you'd have thought I had won an Olympic medal, they were so proud of me. They are my biggest fans, outside of their daddy, and they are the number one reason I'm fighting to get in shape and stay in shape. (Okay, it's for Roger too!) :)

By the time the race was wrapped up, and the kids had played in the bounce house, Autumn and I decided it was time to go. Emma was looking for a place to lay down, and Logan wasn't far behind. So, we gathered up the kids, and found a few yard sales to stop at on the way back. (We didn't have great success finding any treasures, but it was fun) We stopped for lunch at a McDonalds with a play land, so that made some little people's day! 

After lunch, we stopped at Sams Club for a few things, and of course, the boys ate all the free samples! (They had just finished lunch!) 

By the time we dropped Autumn and Logan off at the church again, it was almost 3:30, and the boys were getting tired. However, I needed some iodine for my object lesson for Children's church. We went to Fleet Farm first, but I didn't want to buy a gallon! I was a little disappointed that I couldn't find it in a small bottle, but we needed to stop at the grocery store before heading home. On a whim, I decided to look in their band aid aisle, and I found a little bottle of iodine. God is so good! 

Home again, home again...yay! The boys dragged stuff out of the garage to play with while I made supper.  My parents came over for dinner, and we had the feast of fresh corn, fresh coleslaw, fresh potatoes, fresh green beans, and chicken sausage. It was delicious home grown food...yum! 

The boys were tuckered out, so it was an early bed time immediately following Bible time. I was able to Face time with Roger so that was really nice. The boys always want to talk to him to, so it's hard to find time that not interrupted. I went to bed early enough, about 10:30, but insomnia followed me to bed. :( It was after 2:30 when I finally fell asleep, which can make for a challenging morning! I was up at 5:50 to make a breakfast dish for the teens at church. Chandler came out of his room about 6:10 and asked if he could help me cook. It always takes three times as long, and about four times the mess, but God graciously filled my mouth with "yes" instead of "no" like my flesh wanted to say! He had a great time cracking eggs and whipping them up, and I have no regrets about spending time with him. 

Sunday, September 14
Oh yeah, it's bedtime! I have a terrible headache, and I was grouchy at the kids tonight. :( I prayed with them, but then didn't kiss them good night. However, my conscience was severed, so I had to go back and kiss them all good night. 

We had a good day...the breakfast was inhaled by the teens, the object lesson worked out beautifully in Children's Church, and I was able to take a little walk and get some laundry folded this afternoon. :) 

I did have one disappointment this morning. Since next Sunday will be Deacon family night after church, I was passing out flyers to those in our deacon group. I happened to be in the church office when I handed a flyer to someone. He asked what it was for, and I replied it was for deacon family night. He replied, "whose my deacon?" I think he was trying to be funny because he laughed after he said it. However, my feelings were a little hurt, actually. This was a person to whom I talk to often, I know Roger has talked with, and while he thought it was a funny comment, no one else in the room knew if he was kidding or not. If there's one thing that puts me on the defensive, it's comments directed at my husband of children. But moving on...it's behind me now. 

After church, I had a quick errand to run at Target. We happened to drive by A&W. Chandler read their sign to me..."99 cent cones". He immediately replies, "Mom, what a rip off!" I was like, "what?!" Chandler states, "who in the world would pay .99 for just a cone?" I couldn't help it...I laughed out loud, and cleared it up for him that they did put ice cream in the cone. :) 

I had such a bad headache this afternoon, that I allowed the boys to watch Curious George while Emma was sleeping. I told them not to get up, and that I was going to lay down for twenty minutes. I felt much better after resting, so I sent the boys outside. After Emma woke up and ate her snack, we went out side for a little walk. We didn't get far, but something is better than nothing. 

Pastor Brenenstuhl preached a good message tonight on balance. I need to hear that. Sometimes, I feel all muddled, and that I don't have good balance. However, it's something to work on...not throwing out the baby with the bath water. :) 

The boys were able to face time with Roger tonight, and tell him all the things that they have planned for this weekend  when he's home. :)

I know Roger is looking forward to being home for a few days, so please pray that he can get done what he needs to before he leaves on Thursday. 

I'm going to bed....good night, all!

No comments:

Post a Comment