Our family

Our family
Robertson Family

Sunday, October 26, 2014

Ear infections, oil changes, and fun memories!

Sunday, October 26, 2014
Well, it was not a typical Sunday, but I was blessed anyways. God provided encouragement and people to bless me today. 

Emma woke up later than usual this morning, so by the time she woke up the boys were dressed, fed, and ready for church. She was super cranky when she woke up, and she was warm to the touch. I decided to take her  temperature, and sure enough, she was spiking a fever of 100.7. While I was wiping Emma down with a cool cloth, I sent Garett down to the basement to empty the dehumidifier. He came back up declaring that there was water in the basement as big as the world! Well, I knew it couldn't be that bad, obviously! So, I went to check it out, and there was a patch of water in the basement about the size of a 4x4 square. I asked Garett what he had meant by his statement to which he replied, "It is the big as the world, you know, that map that Nana has at school?" At this point I realized that Garett was referring to the map of the world that Nana has at the school house! So it wasn't a huge mess, and I was able to get it cleaned up with the towels, wet vac, and the fans.

Emma was screaming while I was doing that, and I knew that she wouldn't be going to church. 
However, the boys were dressed for church, so I decided to call my dad about seeing about the boys going to church there. My dad answered the phone, and I didn't tell him it was me. Instead I asked my dad if his church offered a bus ministry. He replied, "no, mam, we don't have a bus ministry right now." I said, "oh, so you won't come pick up my kids for church?" My dad replied, "I'm sorry, we just aren't in a position to do that right now." By then was holding in my laughter, so I told my dad it was I. After hearing about Emma, and the puddles in the basement, he graciously came and picked up the boys for church. 

My parents were such a blessing to me today, as they took the boys to church, fed them lunch, and took them all afternoon. My mom had made a big pot of soup, and had invited another family from church over for lunch, so the boys even had playmates for the majority of the afternoon. My dad said that Travis didn't even make it through the singing part of the church service before he was sleeping in his chair! The boys came home excited to talk about their day, and I was ready to see them. I'm very glad that I had some time away from them, as it made me delighted to see them last night. Praise The Lord for parents! 

Since the boys were taken care of, the water was cleaned up, it was just Emma and I for a quiet morning at home. We cuddled for a good part of the morning, but I actually had a very profitable morning. I caught up on most of the laundry, I finished the nursery schedule for November, caught up on my Bible reading, and took a short nap.

My friend, Autumn, texted me about 10:30 to say that she was bringing me lunch. Her husband was taking her little boy, so it would just be her. Since she knows where I live, I didn't bother to tell her that it was a long ways to drive to bring me lunch! :) I was looking forward to some adult company, and God provided just the right friend. I thought she was just going to drop off lunch and leave, but instead we ate lunch together, had coffee, talked, and talked. Emma woke up for a little bit, but she just drank a little juice. I gave her some medicine, and she went back to bed. So, Autumn and I had a whole afternoon of uninterrupted talking and fellowshipping. It was just what I needed! Before I knew it,the clock read five o'clock! 

My friend, Tressa, had graciously agreed to come over and watched Emma so that I could go to the Sunday night church service. She came over about 5:30, and I headed to church....by myself!! It was such an incredibly weird feeling to be in church without a single child! A friend mentioned that she had missed seeing me that morning, and I explained that I had a sick child. She told me that she had brought me coffee, but then had to give it to someone else since I wasn't there! I promptly told her that I would be on time next Sunday! :) Still, it was very encouraging to know that someone had thought of me, and she wanted to be a blessing to me. Even though I missed out on the coffee, I was encouraged because she thought of me.  

When I arrived home, Emma was laying on the couch with Tressa. Emma's fever was at 101.3, so she was warm. Tressa said it was a quiet night, since Emma only wanted to cuddle on the couch. My parents brought the boys home shortly after I came home. The boys were bursting with news about their day, the fun time that they had with other children, and how they had caught a mouse in the treehouse at Papa's house. It was such fun listening to them all chatter away. My mom said that the boys ate her out of house and home, and she couldn't believe how often and much they ate! :) (Tell me about it!) 

Although it was an unusual Sunday, it was a good day. God brought people and circumstances into my life to show me His great love, and His consistent unchanging character. Unfortunately, the devil seemed to be working overtime to discourage my husband. Roger is very frustrated that this training isn't done, he's ready to come back to his family, and as the weeks draw out, we realize that nothing is going to go back to the way it was before he left. I've changed, he's changed, the kids have grown, and we have our work cut out for us to stregthen our relationship, communicate together again, and regain our ground. 

Monday, October 27, 2014 
It was a busy, tired mom, sort of day! Emma was still a grouch, so trying to have school with her clinging to my hip was challenging at best. I took the three little ones home right after I picked up Travis from four k. Emma had been running a low grade fever all day, and when I laid her down for a nap, she was flushed. I gave her a little Tylenol, but by the time my mom brought the older boys home, she had a temperature of 101.9. My mom suggested that I take her into the walk in clinic, so I left the boys with my mom and took Emma to the clinic. Thankfully, it wasn't a long wait, but she does have an ear infection. The doctor prescribed an antibiotic, and we were on our way home. 

My phone had quit working earlier that morning, so I had no way to make phone calls or text people. While I wouldn't say I'm glued to my phone, it does make me uneasy with five small kids and no phone. 

Once more my friend, Gretchen, came to my rescue. She offered to watch my kids while I picked up Emma's antibiotic and tried to get my phone fixed. I left the three older boys at her house, but the leech came with me, and I took Emma along too. :) Travis likes the Schilders, and he often will stay there but not today. I took Emma along simply because she was running a fever, and I don't want to expose Gretchen's family to that. God was merciful, and the cell phone company wasn't over run with customers. They were able to fix the phone, at least temporarily, and that's a huge relief for me. 

I went back to pick up the three boys who were disappointed that their visit was already over! Emma was ready to go home, and she was still running a fever, but at least my phone is in working order again! 


Tuesday, October 28, 2014
We are on lesson 53 in school....woo hoo!! Wyatt has been a struggle for me to teach lately, because he simply isn't interested in it. He hasn't really applied himself, and if it's hard, then we have a battle of the wills to do what needs to be done! Thankfully, I'm currently willing this educational battle. :) My mom has been the glue that helps hold all this homeschooling together sometimes, and I can't imagine how challenging it would be if I had to do it all myself. 

Emma, the grouch, is still a grouch! She isn't running a fever, but apparently, she's still a grouch. Anytime I would set her down, she would lay on the floor and cry until I picked her up. The boys tried to help me by holding her but that just made her angry and cry louder! She fell asleep on the way home from school, and unfortunately, she didn't go back to bed. It was a long afternoon. Although the weather was much cooler today, the boys were content to play outside for several hours after school. Since Travis can now ride his bike, they all race up and down the driveway together. It seems like a collision waiting to happen, but so far so good! 

I needed to get the oil changed in the car after our trip to North Carolina, and the boys have been asking to go rock climbing at the YMCA. So, after realizing that Emma wasn't going to take a nap, I made the boys a huge lunch of chicken, brown rice, and broccoli. They ate up, we cleaned up, and headed to change the oil in the car. Travis was the only one excited about going to get the oil changed...know why? Remember the oil change place offers cookies and soda. :) I wanted to get to the mechanic before school let out for everyone else because I wanted the wait to be as short as possible. When we arrived, there was a few cars ahead of us, but the mechanic directed us to pull right into the garage bay. So we pulled in, parked the car, and proceeded to get out. You should've seen the mechanics eyes widen as all the doors popped open, the trunk unlatched, and kids crawled out from everywhere! I'm used to it, but I imagine it was a rather strange sight! I gave the man the information about the station wagon, and then we all went inside. We managed to get all the way into the shop with only hearing three comments of "see you brought the gang with you", and "wow, all those boys," and "the whole crew is with you today." :) The wait was only about 45 minutes...maybe they rushed the job so we could get out of there?! :) The boys didn't mind since they each were able to have a cookie and a whole can of soda. (Mom usually makes them share.)  As we walked back out of the shop towards the car, we began the whole procedure of putting everyone back in the car. When I wen to pay the bill, the mechanic asked me, "Them aren't ALL yours, right?" I just grinned, and replied with my standard answer, "yes, and I am never bored!" However, he did give me a compliment and said that I looked too young to have that many....or maybe he was just trying to cover up asking such a question? :) 

Emma was able to get a quick nap in the car before the YMCA. She wasn't happy the entire time we were at the YMCA, but she made it! The three older boys were able to go rock climbing, but there wasn't an open spot for Travis. He was very, very, sad, but it will be his turn next time. Chandler made it all the way to the top of the wall and rang the bell. The boys are probably better at rock climbing than I am, but we will see because next time, I'm going to try it! 

After the YMCA, the piranhas were starving again! I told them they could share some cheese curds from Culvers. After we carefully divided them out, the boys scarfed them down. I told them they could eat again at home! :) 

Well, it's been a busy day. It's time for Bible time and bed...hurrah!

I'm writing up another post to explain some upcoming changes, but we need your prayers. 
Thanks!



        My sweet daughter with Papa on Sunday night.
                        

No comments:

Post a Comment