Our family

Our family
Robertson Family

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Home...back to reality!

Wednesday, October 22, 2014


Well, we've been home for over twenty four hours, and the house still looks like we just unpacked! We have clothes to wash and put away, mail to take care of, dishes from breakfast, etc. But I'm thankful that the house never complains! :) 

Everyone is trying to get back into the routines of bedtime, chores, and school! :) Travis asked me why he had to go to school all the time...he hasn't even gone for eight days! However, he adjusted well to going back to his class, and thankfully, Wyatt did retain most of what he learned before we left! :) All the kids are tired though, and I am a little cranky too. I brought the younger kids home from school, made supper for a friend and ourselves and tried to lay the little ones down for a nap. I decided to lay down too, but my mind really gets going once I'm still! Travis was out like a light, and Wyatt fought sleep for over an hour. He laid very still in bed, but he never went to sleep! My mom brought the older boys home, and I let Wyatt get up. Thankfully, they all went outside, so I did get to lay down for a few short minutes! :) 
                   

I planned to leave our house about 2:30, but it was closer to 3:15. The boys needed to pick up the yard, and they do very well for about five minutes. But then one of them discovers a ball to play with, or a ladder to climb, or gets in an argument with one of the other brothers about whose doing the most work, or something else ridiculous, and the job takes longer than it should. Then we have to have a discussion about working, staying with the job, and then finally we can leave! Whew...that tired me out just writing about it! :) 

We took a meal to a friend that has a sick baby, and then we dropped off the supper at the Schilders house. We were going to eat supper with them, but I didn't want to have to haul around the meal while we did errands. The boys were beyond thrilled when Mrs. Schilder asked them if they wanted to stay while I did errands and the YMCA. (I had told them they could not ask to stay, Mrs. Schilder had to offer to let them stay.) They all had huge faces of relief when I told them they could stay. The leach (Travis) was going to come with me, but at the last second he changed his mind and decided to stay. So, I drove off before he could change it again! 

I did a little grocery shopping, got in two miles at the YMCA, and then headed back to the Schilders for supper. They don't have a very big house, and they already have four kids plus the ones that Gretchen baby sits for; so it looks like a house overflowing with kids when mine are there as well! However,  Gretchen graciously allows me to drop the kids off and gives me some time to myself. I'm so thankful for those moments...they keep me sane! :)

After supper, we had our Kings Kids at church. Wyatt wasn't excited about going, but he's been a little bit of a bear lately. And he went- mom insisted! :)

As always, Wednesdays are our long day, and it was late by the time we were home and in bed. Travis will be the snack leader in Thursday, so I'll be up early to make treats for his class. 

Roger has his last two flights before his exams to finish this course, so please be in prayer for that. Also, please pray that he can get in to take the final test sooner than anticipated. They told him that it would probably be two weeks out, but I'd love to see it happen sooner!

Thursday, October 23, 2014
It was a rainy, dreary day. The kind of day that's just right for curling up with a blanket, cup of coffee, and a good book; and that is NOT what happened! :) Instead I crawled out of bed this morning to drink coffee and read my Bible. I had do scramble to get that done before I made Travis his treats for class today. It wasn't a real fancy treat today, but he did get to bring Rice Krispie treats and yogurt drinks. He was happy, so this mama is happy also. :) 

Emma had a rough day at the school house today. She was fussy, and cranky, and I think she wanted to go home! :) Wyatt has been "off his feed" ever since Roger went back to Florida. I knew that either he needed to take a nap, or I needed to take a nap! Garett had a chiropractor appointment in the early afternoon, and I asked my mom if she could take him to his appointment and then bring the boys home. She said that she would take Garett and Chandler home to her house after school and then bring them home after Garett's appointment. Whew...since that was solved, maybe I could get a nap! Thankfully, Emma stayed awake on the way home, which meant I could feed all the kids lunch and then lay everyone down together. I put Emma down in her bed, Travis in his bed, and Wyatt in our bed. I knew that if Travis and Wyatt couldn't keep each other awake, I had a better possibilty of taking a nap! Our house was quiet for over two hours. :) I only laid down for about thirty minutes, but it was enough to recharge my battery. The boys and Emma were just waking up when my mom came by with the older two. Although it was still wet outside, all the boys wanted to go outside and play. Since mud washes, and we have a working wash machine and hot water, I said to go ahead. :) Travis has figured out how to ride a big boy bike, so he was very excited to race through the puddles. 

I was still on the tired side, and the weather wasn't helping me feel energized. I was hoping the dinner fairy would come by today...that's the lady like the tooth fairy (one that's pretend, but I wish was real!). However after the outside play, baths, and clean up, I had five small children that needed supper. So I pulled out a little of this, some of that, and each child had something different for supper. It was a variety of sandwiches, pasta, veggies, and a little meat. No one complained and everyone was fed...success! 

                  B.   


We watched "Little House on the Prairie", and the boys enjoyed it for the most part. Chandler doesn't care for movies where people get hurt or scared, so he was a little anxious during the part where the Indians came in the house, and the wagon fell through the ice. I had to remind him that the movie was pretend, but it definitely makes me cautious  about what I'll allow the kids to watch. 

After the movie, it was Bible time and bed. Did I mention that bedtime is often my favorite part of the day?! :)

Roger had his last flight tonight! He is scheduling his final class exam for next week. He will then have to take the official FAA exam, so we are praying that he can get in quickly! 

Friday, October 24, 2014
The day started out as foggy as pea soup, and my kids were wired! School today was about as fun as getting my teeth pulled, but we survived it! I thought I was going to lose my sanity, but after thinking about it, it's probably long gone! 

The boys were anxious to get home since we had some friends coming over.  Shortly after we arrived home, Rebekah Longsine and her kids came for a visit. Beka is a good friend, and she became a better one when she brought me coffee! :) We enjoyed coffee and fellowship, while the kids played outside, built forts, and played cowboys and Indians. Beka and I talked about many, many, things, and it was a good afternoon of time well spent. 

The Longsines left a little before three, so I decided not to put the boys down for rest time. Our church was having a hayride for couples tonight, but I wasn't sure if I wanted to go without Roger. I went ahead and set up a sitter for the kids though, because even if I decided not to go on the hayride, I could spend a couple of hours by myself! 

When the sitter arrived, I was still undecided about the hayride or time alone. It was a battle in my mind right up until I had to make a decision which road to go on...the one to the hayride, or the one to time alone. I decided to go on the hayride, even though it was hard to do without Roger. I did have a great time of fellowship and lots of laughter. My friend, Gretchen, and I decided to take a bowl of chili that was leftover from the supper, down the road to a friends house. Although country roads are dark, since I grew up in the country, I wasn't too worried. Gretchen's husband, Sean came along with us. It was probably a little over 1/2 mile walk to the friends house, and it was dark. We had lots of laughs and conversation along the way. I had a great time, and I am glad that I went. However, I missed Roger...a lot. 

Travis did well while I was gone, but the sitter did say that he asked multiple times when I would be home. He has become so attached lately that it's sometimes hard to not be frustrated with him. The kids were ready for bed when I arrived home, but I stayed up talking with Roger. 

This morning the kids were up a little after seven. I wasn't ready to get up, so I laid in bed thinking about sleeping. It's really hard to sleep, when four boys in the next room are getting louder and louder as they tell each other to be quiet! Oh well, that's why God made the coffee bean! He made it for tired mothers, you know! 

Today was the last day for the farmers market. I had kinda thought about going, but the boys were having such a good time playing with Legos and trucks. I decided to work on laundry, dishes, and my preparations for children's church tomorrow. Travis and I took a short walk together while Emma napped. It's been such fun to watch how quickly he's mastered bike riding. Roger worked with him a little while we were in North Carolina, and now Travis is quite proficient at bike riding. 

I called my parents to see if they could watch some of the kids while I took a child on a date.  I decided to ask Garett if he would want to come with me to run some errands and make a returns. He immediately replied that he wanted to go with me on a date. I told him that he would have to take a shower, put on clean underwear, brush his teeth, and put on pants without holes if he wanted to go on a date with a girl. I half expected him to decline from the date, but he was all excited. :) 

                    

We dropped off the other kids at my parents, and Garett and I headed off on our date. Garett is not often vocal about his feelings, and he doesn't demand a lot of attention; so I really felt like I needed to spend  some one on one time with him. I'm very glad I did. We had some good conversations, did errands, vacuumed the car, and ate lunch together. It was a special time for us...now I just have to figure out how to fit in three more dates with three more sons! 

A friend was  having a bridal shower at church today, but since that would have required hiring a baby sitter again, that was out. While I'm disappointed I missed it, I'm glad for the time spent today with one of my children. 

Roger is close to being done with his instrument training! He is scheduled to take the end of class exam on Tuesday, and then it's just a matter of getting it official with the FAA. Please pray that he can get in quickly! We need him home! 

No comments:

Post a Comment