Our family

Our family
Robertson Family

Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Our upcoming trip

Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Since this family didn't get a whole lot of sleep last night, we will all be going to be early! Garett and Chandler actually did fairly well in school considering the late night they had yesterday. I'm very pleased with the progress Garett is making with his reading and spelling. Chandler has a hard time writing cursive as he tends to scrunch up his hand and get really tense! But I'm happy with the progress he's making. Wyatt struggles with having a good attitude, especially when he's tired. He wants to be good at everything and win all the games we play for fun...so it's been challenging! (I wonder where on earth he gets that competitive nature from?!) :) 

I took the little ones home early, and of course, Emma fell asleep in the car. She stayed asleep while I carried her in and put her in bed, so I knew she was tired. I tried to get the other two boys laid down for naps before the older boys came home, but it just didn't happen. I was busy trying to get supper together, start and finish laundry, pay some bills, and looked at plane tickets for our trip to North Carolina. The little boys were laid down for rest time, and within five minutes, my mom was home with the older two. Since the boys were excited about their friends coming over, I just decided that an early bedtime would be more beneficial than trying to squeeze in a rest time. They all played outside nicely, and I was able to have a very enjoyable visit with my mom. Although we teach school together, we don't often get time to just sit and chat. So we drank coffee and visited together. I'm very thankful for my mama! 

I did spend a little time looking at airline tickets today, and I don't think that God has it in His plans for us to fly. The tickets are just too expensive and it's impossible to justify spending that money just because it would be easier for me. However, my parents are leaving for North Carolina on Sunday after church. They would like for me and the kids to car caravan with them just in case something happens to the vehicle. It's not my desire to leave on Sunday, especially since our church will be having missions conference; however, since Roger isn't hear and we can't afford to fly, I feel like I need to honor my parents in this request. We will be taking the car, as we've decided to park the truck for a bit. Since the funds aren't there to fix it, we will just take the insurance off and park it for a bit. 

I'm not going to lie...I was really disappointed to not find tickets that we could afford. I think the biggest reason that I wanted to fly is because the kids would have enjoyed it so much. I feel like they've had to sacrifice a lot this summer, and I know that flying would have been fun for them. It's been a challenging summer, with mostly mom parenting; and we are all tired of that! They've missed daddy in words that I couldn't even begin to describe. But somehow, God has a different plan for us right now. Why it's God's plan for us to leave on Sunday and take the car, I surely do not know. But I know that I serve a God who cares for me, my weary children, and my lonely husband. Someday, someday, this will be behind us!

The kids and I did have a good evening with several of our friends. Hannah came over with her three children, and Jennifer came over with her three children. We had a great dinner together, although the cauliflower dish was not popular with the kids! :) The children all played outside, except for the three babies; and all the nerf guns came out, the wooden guns, and even a lonely water gun!

For the first time, I noticed that my oldest son is transitioning out of playing with the younger children. It's not that he was rude or impolite, he just didn't participate in their level of play. Garett kept mostly to himself all evening, playing with his own stuff, and doing his own thing. My boy is looking for friends his own age to play with now, and he isn't as interested in playing with the little kids...he's growing up! 

Roger ended up getting into Orlando at two in the morning. He tried to find a hotel that was reasonably priced, but he ended up just getting a few hours of sleep in the car. He is exhausted today, but he will be flying tomorrow, Lord willing! He is currently staying in a room that was offered to him from a man in the church. It's a little bit farther of a drive, but it's a place to stay and the price is right! 

Wednesday, October 8, 2014
Sticking with the schedule of Wednesdays, we filled the day right to the brim with activity! We had school, obviously, and Wyatt went to his speech lesson. His speech teacher said that he is doing very well, and she is pleased with his progress. My mom came home from school with us, so that I could go get the truck from the mechanic. On the way to get the truck, Garett asked if the truck was fixed yet. I replied that it wasn't fixed and that we would be taking the car to North Carolina. You could've heard a  pin drop in the car! However, Garett is always my most optimistic and easy going child, so he replied, "oh well, I'll just ride with Nana and Papa!" 

Chandler asked  why we weren't fixing the truck, and I answered that it was broken and cost too much to fix right now. He promptly asked if he could take the truck apart when we brought it home...um...no! We would like to fix it someday not start a scrap yard in our back yard! 

After we got the truck home, I fixed a quick lunch for everyone. We then turned back around to go the same direction as I needed to pick up the dresses for the wedding next week. :) I have the best friends as girl could ask for, seriously! My friend, Gretchen, took the boys while my mom, Emma, and I went up to Appleton to pick up the dresses and do some grocery shopping for our trip. (We must have food to throw in the back seat to the piranhas!) :) I had a very enjoyable afternoon with my mom and Emma, and the boys would have had an aweful time with all that "girl" shopping! 

When I returned to pick up the boys, they were just getting started with a campfire. Since I was wanting to get to the YMCA, Gretchen suggested I leave them there while I went to get some excercise. I was completely surprised when Emma reached out her arms to Gretchen, and Emma was more than happy to stay at their house! Gretchen told me that the boys had helped clean up leaves for a bit. She had told Chandler that one of the racks was acting like junk. Chandler quickly asked if he could have the rack for his scrap metal collection! That kid! When I told Chandler that he wasn't supposed to ask for stuff, he replied, "yeah, but mom, she said it was junk! I didn't want her to throw it away!" I wasn't sure how to respond to that, so I didn't say anything at all. :) 

Since the kids were in such excellent hands, I went and quickly did two miles on the elliptical before Kings Kids. I went and picked up the kids, and off to church we went. Thankfully, the boys had remembered their bag this week, so I was happy about that! After church, I had to track down some people to ask for help in the nursery next week during missions conference. I think I have it all covered! :) 

Because my life was getting boring...NOT!...Garett decided to add something new to our routine. :) It would appear to me that he has a staph infection coming on. :( His knee is swollen and it looks very similar to the one that I had two weeks ago. So, I guess we will be going to the clinic tomorrow. I seriously hope and pray that we haven't stumbled upon something that is going to bother us for a while! I've washed and scrubbed down everything, but someone Garett seems to have picked it up. Oh, and Wyatt has a swollen finger too...from what?! I have no idea! 

In good news, Roger is loving the new place he is staying at in Florida. It's spacious and has plenty of room to spread out maps and books. He will be taking his cross country instrument flight on Friday, so we would appreciate your prayers.


No comments:

Post a Comment