Our family

Our family
Robertson Family

Monday, July 27, 2020

Hot, Muggy Days of Summer and A Praise too!


                                                     Hot summer days! 

                                                       This boy loves a project! 

Since the last blog post I wrote was titled “Warm Days of Summer”, this one should be titled the “Scorching Days of Summer”! It was not just hot today, it was muggy, humid and uncomfortable. I find these days to be unusual here as compared to the normal days of summer in Wisconsin. It’s not often in Maine that even the beach doesn’t have a breeze! 

Yesterday was a full day of teaching Sunday school, worship service, lunch at church, and then youth group in the evening. While the day was warm, it was way warmer today! Roger was working yesterday, and that makes me appreciate it when he can come with us to church. In our children’s Sunday school class, we are studying about Jonah. Often we think of Jonah as the cute little children’s Bible story about the man swallowed by a big fish. But Jonah is so much more than that as Jonah is such an example of God’s mercy...and that same mercy is available for me and for you! God told Jonah to go to Nineveh, and instead Jonah goes the opposition direction as in 2500 miles the wrong way! Now that’s disobedience! God could allowed it so that Jonah never even got on the boat to go the wrong way, but I think God wanted to demonstrate to Jonah that He is merciful. I don’t know if the Sunday school kids learned anything as it was very hot in the sanctuary yesterday, but I’ve certainly been enjoying the study! 

After church the children were eager to be outside. It’s hard to sit in church when it is hot and the air feels still. I was walking towards going outside, when I was stopped by one of my friends, Sharon. Sharon is older than I, but still a very dear friend to me. She asked about our trip, and I started crying as I explained that the trip had been fine, but hearing about Kevin’s death had been so hard. Again I was so comforted by human touch as she reached out and wrapped me in her arms. I managed to get her shoulder all wet from tears, but it was a reminder of God’s comfort. God created us to need positive human touch, and I am so thankful for friends that offer a hug and a smile. I know my own children are needing more positive affirmation these days, much as I am. We are sometimes a hot mess, but God continues to sustain us and help us every step of the way. 

Roger was a little late coming to youth group, but we were glad that he made it. Roger is truly one of the most faithful men I know, and he’s going to do the right thing with quietness and confidence. He doesn’t seek out praise or recognition, but he will work long and hard to do the right thing...always. I’m so blessed to call him my best friend. Garett rode home in Rogers car, and Roger was able to spend some time in conversation with Garett. Garett opened up a bit to Roger about some of his feelings, and we do ask for your continued prayers. Garett got a letter from his grandpa (Roger’s dad) today, and while Garett told me that the letter was a lot of reading, he was happy to get a letter -sounds like Garett! 

After youth group, Travis and Wyatt were thrilled to get to spend the night at a friends house. They’ve only had about two sleepovers in their lives, so this was a big deal. It also provided a welcome distraction for them and something that was lighthearted in their lives. Ashley endured nerf gun wars, legos, and lots of loud boys at her house! Travis and Wyatt were happy to tell me about their adventures this afternoon, and I was happy to hear about their fun. 

This morning, I took the three that were at home and we met some friends at the beach. It’s very unusual to go to the beach and still feel hot! Even the beach felt sticky today! We enjoyed our time with Annah and her children down by the beach. The boys caught crabs, and Chandler was happy to find a sand dollar. Emma played with the girls, and Annah, Isabelle and I walked on the beach. It’s weird to be so hot, but yet the ocean water numbs my ankles! 

I had a meeting this afternoon to discuss some plans for preschool this fall. I’m a big fan of in-person meetings as so much can get lost in translation in emails and texts! I actually walked away from the meeting feeling very encouraged, and I know that’s because of the power of prayer. I had asked some of my closest friends to be in prayer about this meeting, and I truly felt that God was at work. If anyone has learned anything these last six months, it’s that life has some disappointments in it! It was like waves of peace at the meeting, and I’m looking forward to God doing great and mighty things in the preschool classes this year. 

Random note: We discovered an air conditioner in our basement in a tucked away place. It’s been here since we’ve moved in. Today was such a hot day that Chandler decided that he would see if he could get the air conditioner to work so that he could put it in the living room window. I certainly wasn’t holding out much hope for something that had been in the house since before we moved in! (Generally people only leave their junk behind!) Anyways, shortly after banging around in the basement, he comes back to announce that he “Fixed” the air conditioner. I asked how he did that. He replied, “I looked it over real good, and then decided that the first thing I should do was plug it in. And it works!” Needless to say, I was very surprised! He coerced Garett into helping him lug it up the stairs, and then managed to find an old piece of lumber to brace it with under the window. My favorite part about all of this is that I just watched the kids in action. It’s lovely that they are now old enough to lug stuff around, move things, and figure out what to do! And now our living room is much cooler than it was at 3:30pm. This afternoon. It was an unexpected blessing, but that’s just how big our God is! 

I’d appreciate your continued prayers for Roger as well as our children. Also, please be in prayer for our upcoming school year that God will be glorified through it all. I know that God is in the business of using His people for His glory, and I’m thankful for His bountiful, amazing grace towards me. 




No comments:

Post a Comment