Our family

Our family
Robertson Family

Tuesday, July 14, 2020

When Life Is Not All Roses and Just Feels like Thorns!


                                                Photo credit:   https://truthinpalmyra

“Who is my only confidence? Christ alone, Christ alone.”  This song is here.  During these days of tumultuous emotions, I take rest in Christ. We are all very much processing the death of Kevin, Roger’s boss. God has been so faithful. 

This week will be attending the burial for Kevin, the celebration of life this Sunday, as well as welcoming a few friends for a few days. It’s amazing how the week can be long and short at the same time! On Sunday afternoon, I took the kids to visit Terry (Kevin’s wife). It was a hard visit for us, but yet so good at the same time. The kids all wanted to see and to hug Terry. Emma has no idea how to deal with death, so she was a bit sillier than I would’ve liked to see. Chandler and Wyatt both shed tears and sobs of broken hearts. Travis and Garett both kept their distance. I feel that Travis is expressing his grief through more emotions at home. I’m a little concerned that Garett is holding back on expressing his grief, but I’m just asking God to speak to his heart. It gives me great comfort to know that God is the God of all comfort. He goes before us, beside us, and He carries us at times. While talking with Terry, talk of the burial and the celebration of life service came up. Emma heard “celebration” and immediately turns to Terry and says, “What kind of cake are we having for the celebration?” I could’ve crawled under the couch! Thankfully, Terry just laughed as she realized that Emma’s thought of “celebration” was a bit different from what we were talking about! 

The truth of the matter is that life cannot all be roses, and sometimes when we are already facing discouragement or hardship, we just seem to get more of the same! I recognize the attack of Satan to get me to feel more defeated and alone, and it’s another opportunity to cry out to my Heavenly Father for His wisdom, love and guidance. I attended an event yesterday where I felt left out and excluded. Ever been somewhere where there are people around you and you still feel alone? Yes, that was me yesterday. It’s a matter that is dear to my heart, but what to do, I have no idea. 

How often it seems during these recent events in our country that we assume things. We assume if someone doesn’t think like us that they must not like us. We assume that we cannot  have interaction with someone who doesn’t think like us because we won’t be able to agree to disagree. We assume the worst of people, and unfortunately it’s both Christian and non- Christian alike. As a Christian, I have no desire to break fellowship with someone over something that is not a doctrinal issue. I want to respond in love both in word and in deed. Do I always? Um...no. However, that would be my goal and my desire. As an American citizen, I want to get along with those around me and live peaceably when possible. That doesn’t mean that I am required to lay down at the feet of every whim of those around me, but it means that I should respect other fellow citizens who also might differ in their opinion. 

I recently had a long conversation with a friend about some of the matters in our state versus the state that she lives in. A lot of the the struggles run along the same veins as what we have here. Satan is fighting hard on all fronts for “neighbor to be against neighbor” “Mother against child”, etc. And we must fight against that! Whether or not churches should resume all ministries; whether or not school should re-open; masks or no-masks; vaccine or no vaccine; and the list goes on and on and on and on. I’ve given up on posting just about anything on social media because people can’t agree to disagree nicely. I will comment on certain news station headlines, etc., but I’ll never go back and read the comments because people are just mean and unkind. We have a massive problem in our world and in our country, and it stems from a broken world. “There is none righteous, no, not one” (Romans)  and “Every man did that which was right in their own eyes” (Judges) ....do you see the problem? Apart from God, we base everything on our own will and our desires. When the standard for right and wrong, good and bad, true and false, righteous and evil, love and hate are built upon everyone doing what is right in their own eyes, massive and widespread dysfunction results. The good news is that even in the midst of chaos, confusion, and conflict, God has not forgotten us. God desires a personal relationship with you and with me. I have no idea what the future holds, but I know I serve the God who does know what the future holds. I know that my feelings and emotions are vulnerable and hurting right now, and I know that God cares. I know that the days seem long,  but I know that God cares. 



No comments:

Post a Comment