Our family

Our family
Robertson Family

Saturday, August 9, 2014

School? For real?!



August 11,2014 MONDAY 
Today school started (insert loud groan here!). The only one really excited about this adventure was Chandler, but since it's a necessity, it must be done. I'm thankful that my mom helps me out...a lot! We do our teaching and school work at the church where my dad pastors. Since no one is using the building during the week, we can use it for school. This is a huge blessing, because then I can just focus on school...not the laundry, dishes, dusting, cleaning, etc. I thought the boys did fairly well for their first day back. Wyatt did ask 1/2 through his lesson when he would be done,  but we made it. Having Emma and Travis there was an added challenge, but we worked through it. Since the first lessons are review and easy, we are doubling up on some. With my sister getting married in October, I want to be able to take a few days off of school and not get behind. The photos are of surveys I gave the boys. I love to see their thoughts, and these will make great memories some day! :)


The biggest problem is that I didn't have enough hours in the day to get everything done that I needed to get done before we started school. Now I have to figure out how to carve more time out of a day that already seems very squeezed. Today was a success...the kids ate, did school, had clothes to wear, had Bible time, had baths...success! 

Travis had a great time with Papa last night. My dad said he was barely awake by 8:30, and crawled in the sleeper bunk at nine! He missed the unloading of the corn, the plant, and all the machinery moving around him. However, when my dad pulled into the truck lot at 3 am to unhook the trailer, Travis woke up. He was wide awake...like asking Papa questions, walking around, jabbering away. My dad said when he took Travis back to their house, Travis brushed his teeth, talked, and my dad finally put him in bed and told him to be quiet. Travis fell back asleep. :)

All in all, it was a good day. I couldn't figure out a way to get in a run, or a walk, since time was so limited. I definitely miss exercise if I don't get any, but I'm going to have to try to figure something else out...one problem at a time. 

Emma is standing! She hasn't walked yet, much to her brother's disappointment, but she has started standing on her own. Time is flying by and sometimes I just want to treasure these moments a little longer. For example, a little boy is sound asleep right beside me, and these moments are passing by too quickly! 

Roger rescheduled his written instrument test for Thursday morning. He is sick and tired of studying, so pray that he does well, and that this step can be behind us! Many thanks for the prayers, Sarah 




August 10, 2014...SUNDAY
Today, as is every Sunday was a busy day. I had children's church this morning, and I had to pick up Wyatt from Nana and Papa's house since he had ridden along with Papa hauling sweet corn. Wyatt was full of words about his adventures, although my dad said he only made it until about 9:30pm. Before crawling in the sleeper bunk! Apparently, Wyatt thought the whole experience was wonderful! :) One more child was looking and waiting for his turn to go, and Travis immediately asked Papa if he could go on Sunday night. Papa graciously agreed, and Travis asked me all day long when it was time to go!

Children's church went well, I thought. There are definitely some weeks that are better than others, but everything seemed to go fairly smoothly. I had an object lessons planned for today using oil and water. It was to illustrate how Christians are to be different from the world. Of course, the kids thought it was pretty cool...hopefully, they learned a truth as well! :) 

After church, we headed home for rest time. I was smart enough to put Travis in our bed so he wouldn't be distracted by his brothers. I knew that he was going to need a rest if he was going to go with Papa! Garett fell asleep as well, but when he was still awake at 11:30 tonight, I realized that he might need to have quiet time instead of a nap. It was a battle of the wills with Chandler and Wyatt...but eventually, they succumbed to nap time! :) Of course, then the problem was that the ones that took forever to fall asleep, I had to wake up for church. Let me say that is never a fun experience! Travis woke up eager to go, and he got out his lunch box. He packed yogurt, and lots of cheese for him and Papa. :) My mom came and picked him up, and that was one excited little boy!

We had a special snack after church tonight to say good bye to some church members that are moving on. Although Roger is a deacon, since he's not here, it often limits how and where I can help. But I really do enjoy serving, so I helped set up tables, sandwiches and drinks for after church. I took a LARGE leap of faith and left Garett and Chandler in the church pew by themselves. I definitely could have sat with them, as it's not like anyone was departs for my help. However, I really wanted to see how they would do. I gave them instructions to sit there, and please...don't fight! I forgot to tell Chandler he couldn't get up to use the bathroom, so he came out once. Overall, I think they did well...I have to learn to test my parenting skills at some point. :) (Of course, I could insert a story right here about when that failed....picture a small boy stomping across the back of the auditorium on his way back from the bathroom, oh, and while the preacher was preaching.) 

I had a great talk on the way home from church with my Roger. We talk often, and sometimes the conversations are just okay, but we had a really good talk. I'm thankful for his persevence to struggle through boredom, fight off financial strains, study hard, and stay focused. I'm thankful that he willingly goes to church when no one is watching. I know that he prays for us every single day...I'm blessed. 







August 9, 2014

The devil is working overtime to try to discourage both Roger and myself this week, and I'm trying hard not to let him win. However, the kids are tired, school starts on Monday, the house needs cleaning, I have a desperate desire to get away for just a few hours...and that is proving to be impossible! I've cried more in the four hours that I've been awake today than in the ten weeks that Roger has been gone! I feel incredibly alone and weary. I'd call Roger, but I know that would only make things harder for him since he can't really help me right now.

I have some school shopping I need to do, and grocery shopping, and I was hoping to go to the YMCA for some exercise. However, about ten minutes into the ride to Oshkosh, I realized that I was tired, emotional, and unable to think about errands with five kids who really didn't want to go shopping...not that I can blame them! So, we came home, and I'm working on cleaning the house, having the boys clean the garage, and get ready for church tomorrow. 

As much as I realize that everyone is busy with their own lives, I still feel incredibly lonely. So, so many people have offered to help me, watch kids, etc...but when push comes to shove, everyone else is busy too...and I get that. However, it has helped me to realize more what deployment wives go through, how single parents must feel at times, and hopefully, in a few months, I will better be able to recognize and help the needs of those around me. I'm working at not complaining, or whining, and I'm hoping this post doesn't come across like that; however, I'm not going to publish this one for a few days at least!

I think this weekend is so difficult because my sister is back in South Dakota, and last weekend Roger was home. But, when the mountain top experience is beautiful and amazing, it makes the valley very deep and scary. I know that God is in the valley as much as on the mountain top, and we are working on trusting Him as we transition through this challenging time. We covet your prayers every day, but today...I could use extra!

As I sat crying out to God for patience and grace, He reminded me of so much that I have to be thankful for in my life. It's hard to be unthankful when God is bringing people to mind to write a thank you note to...I have several to write! After I got over my sadness, I got up, made lunch, helped the kids do their chores, got clothes laid out for church tomorrow, worked on my children's church lesson, and cleaned up the house a little. Unfortunately, Emma laid down for a nap early and the boys a little late, so I had roughly eight minutes before Emma was awake and needing lunch! Oh well! 

It was Wyatt's turn to ride along with Papa tonight, so he was chomping at the bit and eager to go! We dropped him off about 5:30, and then I headed to Oshkosh with the other kids. I had been dreading finishing up back to school shopping with all of them, but God gave me grace. I had called Mark and Allison about 4:00 to see if maybe they could watch the kids, and they agreed. So, I dropped off the kids and ran around like a crazy person to get as much done in 2 1/2 hours as possible! (I've been too long with the kids, when I pull up to the store and open the back car door to help out the kids!) I made it to JCPenny, Target, CVS, Subway, and Walgreens. :) I'm very thankful for the few hours away from the kids and for Mark and Allison's willingness to watch the kids.

God gives grace as we need it. He doesn't hand out extra, he doesn't allow us to stockpile it into our spiritual lives, I firmly believe that He gives it to us on a day to day, moment to moment basis. God challenges us to depend on His Word and to truly trust Him. To say it's been a rough day would be putting it lightly, however, compared to the problems of some of those around me, my problems are very, very shallow. I'm thinking of the mom whose daughter is very ill, the dad who lost his job, the new mom that miscarried a baby...all those situations make my problems seem very insignificant. But, the same God that provides grace for them, that's the same  God that provides grace for me. One day at a time.

1 comment:

  1. It has been such a blessing to me reading your journey. You are very strong woman of God, and an example to me.

    ReplyDelete