Our family

Our family
Robertson Family

Monday, August 18, 2014

Sunday Funnies

When I was a kid, I used to read the Sunday comics every week...it was my favorite part of the newspaper. :) However, since God has blessed us with children, it is no longer necessary for me to read the comics...they are in front of me every day!!

A few fun moments from our week:
1) my mom was having a phonics lesson with Wyatt this week. She was explaining that "I" says...i..I...Indian. She held up a picture of an Indian, and made the Indian noise by tapping her hand over her mouth, like an Indian war whoop. She said "now remember Wyatt, "i" says I...I...Indian." She then asks Wyatt, "what does the I say?" Wyatt promptly replys by tapping his hand over his mouth and imitating the war whoop! :) (yeah, he missed the concept!)

2) Garett drew some pictures of airplanes for Roger. He then face timed Roger and told him about all the different airplanes he had drawn. A pacer, a chieftain, a DC 3, and several others. I'm amazed that he can't seem to remember his math facts, but he certainly knows his airplanes!

3) On Wednesday afternoon, we were able to visit with our friends, Ryan and Jenna. Wyatt found an old nasty jaw bone from probably a dog. He brought it into the house to show me, along with the teeth he had found. He proceeded to set the whole nasty mess on the table, and of course, I was horrified! I promptly told him to throw it in the trash. He wailed, "mom, I'm going to take it home." I was about to tell him absolutely not, but instead I asked why we would need to haul dog teeth home with us. He then replied that he was going to put the dog teeth under his pillow, and ask me to give him some money for them. (When the boys lose a tooth, we usually give them a quarter) Umm...no, I'm not handing out money for dog teeth!!

4) When I have all the kids and I'm doing shopping, I usually look for a parking space close to the entrance of the store. I often say, "oh, help us, Jesus, to find a close spot." It's not that I say them flippantly, it's just a conversation I'm having with Jesus. Today when we needed to stop for a few items, I found a parking place close to the front of the store. Chandler immediately pipes up, "oh, thank you, Jesus!" I had to chuckle because he used the exact voice intonation that I use, and it was pretty funny. Oh, the things they learn!

A quick look back on the weekend...

Friday...a day spent with school, preparations for the college activity, and cooking. We did a build your own burger bar, which was a lot of fun, but a lot of work! I also made a berry salad, a cauliflower dish, and dessert. However, we did managed to get to the activity early, and my friend graciously watched the kids so I could squeeze in a short run. We had seven college kids at the activity, but they seemed to have a good time. 

Saturday...more cooking! I was helping with breakfast for our Sunday School class the next day, so I made chocolate muffins, and three pans of monkey bread. Thankfully, a good friend showed up for a visit, so I had some one to talk to while I cooked.  :) The Mayo family came over and cut the grass for me...yay...and helped me change the pool filter! Wow, that pool was green! It's making a comeback back to blue though, so that's a good thing! About 3:30, I brought the boys over to my friend, Tanya's house. She had offered to let the boys spend the night, and I certainly couldn't think of a reason to say no! :) I was tired, but Emma and I went and washed and vacuumed the truck, picked up some eggs for the egg bake I was making for Sunday, and looked for a present for Travis's birthday...we didn't find one. Then the check engine oil level light came on...uh oh! I called Roger, and he said to check the oil in the truck. So I drove it to Tanya's house, and she helped me check the oil...and it needed some. I obviously don't put oil in very often, since I was going to try to pour the oil in the same hole that the dipstick was in! Thankfully, she pointed out the oil tank. :) It's running fine again, but I need to take it in and have it serviced, so I guess they can check the oil while their at it!

I came home, whipped up the egg bakes, nursed my Emma baby, and crawled into bed. 

Sunday...I have a love/hate relationship with Sunday. I love the fact that I get to go to church, worship with believers, hear Godly preaching, fellowship with Christians...however, the devil works overtime to get me discouraged!

I knew that I was going to struggle with discouragement today...I was tired, weary, and I would have loved to crawl back in bed. However, instead, I got up, ran two miles, read my Bible, cooked the egg bakes, and asked God to give me specific people that I could be a blessing to today. I wrapped up four bars of chocolate, attached little notes, and put them in my purse. I didn't have anyone specific in mind, but I knew that God would give me some ideas...or I would eat the chocolate myself! :)

But, guess what? By the time church ended, and I was ready to leave, God had brought people to mind to give my little gifts to...honestly, I received the bigger blessing. 

I took the boys out to lunch since they had their free kids meals coupons from the library reading program. We also invited Tanya and Connor along, and Emma "gave" Connor her coupon for a free kids meal. :) After lunch, we stopped at the grocery store quick to pick up a few items for the college snack after church. (We have college snack after church one Sunday night a month, and it happened to be this week) Travis fell asleep on the way home, as well as Emma, but thankfully, I put them both in their beds and they slept for another two hours! The boys played outside, and I did a little more cooking. :) I made meatball subs for snack tonight, but thankfully, it was a simple meatball dish. (Actually, almost everything I make has between four and eight ingredients...I'm not a very complex cook person!)

We had a good turnout for snack, and it was late when we got home. I was not a happy mama on the way home. The boys had brought two scooters to play with after church; but when it was time to leave only one could be found. It was discovered that Travis was the last one using the green scooter, and he had forgotten to bring it back over to the truck, he had also forgotten where he had been riding it last, and he didn't know where it was "hiding". We spent a few minutes looking for it, but since I didn't bring it, it wasn't my toy, nor my responsibility, I didn't spend a whole lot of time looking. Travis received some money for his birthday next week, but he was very sad to hear that he was going to have to give the money to Wyatt since he lost Wyatt's scooter. :( It was hard for me to have him give the money to Wyatt, but we can't borrow other people's stuff and not take care of it. I'm still praying that the scooter will show up, but I'm also praying that Travis will remember this lesson! 

Oh, how I'm thankful it's bedtime!

MONDAY, August 18, 2014
 I slept terribly last night...due to caffeine, a cranky Emma, a bed wetter, and a child who was cold...by 6:00 I was on the couch asking God to please let me not be a grouch today. I did have to bite my tongue several times, but everyone's head is still intact! :) However, it is 8 pm, and the house is quiet...yay!

We started on our second week of school today, and Wyatt told me that school was boring. He's been doing two lessons a day, since it hasn't seemed to be any challenge for him. I'm thinking I'll have to dig out some extra papers and play a few review games with him tomorrow, just to try to keep him engaged and interested. I know that school will get harder for him as the year progresses, but right now, he's just taking a walk in the park. Garett, on the other hand, is trying to figure out how everything disappeared out of his brain over the summer! I'm hoping some of his education from last year will make a come back! :)

I took Wyatt, Travis and Emma home, while my mom finished up with the older boys. Both Travis and Emma fell asleep on the way home, and slept while I carried them in, and continued to sleep for another two hours. I tried to take a nap with Wyatt, but after 1/2 hour of laying there awake, I decided that we could both use our time better. I sent him outside, and I started working on cleaning/organizing my kitchen. I didn't make it through all the cupboards, but I do have a nice little stack of things that need to find a different home. 

Nana brought the older boys home around 1, and then a dear lady in our church stopped by with a meal for us! I was so blessed by her generosity and thoughfulness. She is in our deacon group, and if know that she has been having her own set of struggles lately, but she still made the time and effort to be a blessing to us...thank you, Julie! According to the boys, she's a great cook! :) 

 Later this afternoon, we took a walk/bike ride to the park. It looked like rain before we left, but it's been looking like that a lot lately. Wyatt and Garett had a great time riding their bikes into the frog pond. Chandler didn't want to ride his in the pond, because he didn't want to have to wear wet clothes home. :) It really is a nasty frog pond with algae, leeches, and murky water, so it was home for baths! We made it home about two minutes before God opened up the skies and the water poured down...thank you, Jesus! 

It was a quiet afternoon inside (well, as quiet as it could be with five kids!) Garett and Chandler went down to the basement to wrestle and play catch, Travis "played" piano for a bit while Emma protested, and Wyatt played with Legos...so, not necessarily quiet, but it was peaceful. We had no major fights or whining, everyone ate supper, cleaned up, read books, had Bible time, and it was bedtime! 

Please, please pray for my Roger. This is getting long for all of us, but he seems really discouraged lately. It's taking longer than we wanted, costing more than we were hoping, and Roger is really missing his family. I'm blessed to have husband who never complains about watching the kids, willingly spends time with them, always plays with them, allows me to go running or off by myself while he takes the kids...yeah, I'm blessed and spoiled! :)

Our love to our readers, Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment