Our family

Our family
Robertson Family

Monday, June 22, 2020

Day #Play dates, Bad Attitudes and Poor Parenting...just keeping it real!


                                                 Pancakes for supper! 

                                                             Working on a class! 

                                                  Thankful for this dear friend





“When I fear my faith will fail, Christ will hold me fast.” Here

If you’ve never heard this song, I highly recommend it. One thing that gives me great comfort these days is music. I often play it on my phone at home or take a minute to play a song through on the piano. I am thankful for friends to pray with, music to speak to me, the Holy Spirit to convict, and His Word to read and ponder. 

This morning I had plans to just putter around the house (yeah, right...who does that?!) I am hosting a baby shower at the end of the week, so I’m on a bit of a mission to clean up, throw out, and prepare for that. I am very much looking forward to hosting the shower, as I don’t think we’ve done that at our house here in Maine yet. However, Travis told me it was a bit early in the week to be cleaning for the baby shower. “Mom, we’re kinda messy, so it’ll probably get dirty before the shower.” Well then my son, you need to keep it cleaner! 

Anyways, as I was out for my walk this morning, I got a text from my friend, Ashley. She had a few things that she wanted to give to our kids (food!), so I asked if she was busy this morning. I invited her over for lunch and a visit. Our kids were happy to see her children, and they all spent the morning running in and out, laughing and playing. Ashley and I enjoyed the morning visiting together. It was a special morning to be able to talk through some of the recent events in our state and in our nation. We didn’t solve any of the problems, but it was such a blessing to have someone to share those concerns, and it was encouraging to talk to another mom of boys and know that we are both wanting the same thing- to raise up a generation that will be strong in the Lord, passionate about Jesus, and love Him fervently. I don’t know that the future holds. Looking at the recent events in our history is cause for great concern, but I do know that we need to the next right things for today. Love and serve Jesus. 

I took the children with me over to the school this afternoon, as we needed to move some stuff around in the preschool room. Since half the room is carpet and the other half is tile, it means that first we have to move all the stuff off the carpet to the tile. Then a man in our church graciously shampooed and cleaned the carpet for us. Today we needed to move all the stuff off the tile floor and to the carpet side. Once the tile floor has been cleaned and buffed, we can put everything back to prepare for the fall. (We are still waiting for directions from the state as to what the recommendations are for schools in the fall.) Please keep praying! Again, we rest in knowing that God is in control. 


Wyatt made supper tonight. He made pancakes, and he had fruit and yogurt to go with the pancakes. He did a good job with the supper, and there was nothing left. I mean nothing! Over thirty pancakes, three pounds of berries, and a large family size container of yogurt...and this is why we don’t eat leftovers. There is nothing left for leftovers even when we try to make a lot! These boys are growing! 


One of our children is really struggling with a bad attitude issue. Bad attitudes are a result of a heart condition so that is concerning to us as parents. Sometimes it’s hard to have the right response as a parent because I just want my child to “fix their problem” and “straighten up their attitude”. But I’m looking for more than an outward response, I want them to recognize that their bad attitude is something much deeper than the actions that come from that. Often it seems like parenting is getting harder and not easier! When they were all so little the consequence came quickly after the action (lying, disobedience, etc.) but now I’m finding that I want to discover why the response is happening. Why were they motivated to disobey, be unkind, disrespectful, etc.? I want to point them to Jesus, but often my flesh wants to respond in a way that does not help the situation. “be ye angry and sin not.” “A soft answer turneth away wrath” “let your speech be with grace”. Oh, yes, I still have plenty to learn in my own life! And so often the actions that I see in my children are the exact same things that I also struggle with in my life. Plenty to work on around here! 



No comments:

Post a Comment