Our family

Our family
Robertson Family

Sunday, June 29, 2014

Blue and White Sunday

Every year, on the Sunday before July 4, our church hosts an event called "blue and white" Sunday. It's an opportunity when we recognize public service workers, such as law enforcement, fire fighters, EMT's, senators, etc. We give each visitor that comes a certificate of our appreciation, and have dinner on the grounds. It's always a lot of works,  but anything of value in eternity usually does require work! 

So, it was a busy Sunday for us. The kids all got up late this morning, and trying to hurry up tired children, is like trying to make jell-o sit up straight in a chair! However, we manage to arrive on church just a few minutes late, not bad! I dropped all the kids off in their classes, made several trips out to the car to haul in stuff for children's church, the desserts, and the diaper bag. I'm thankful for friends that will dress Emma in her Sunday outfit, help direct my children to classes, and eve give them some spare change for their offering! :)

Usually, I help in the kitchen for events like these, but this was our week for children's church. The kids were all a little off routine though since we had a flag parade during the adult service. Then the  flight for life helicopter came, and the fire engines, police cars, etc. So, I'm not sure that they learned very much this Sunday, but hopefully, they grasped the fact that we love them and so does Jesus. 

Trying to get five children fed lunch at a church dinner can get a little chaotic, but with Roger gone, Garett and Chandler have been doing more things on their own. Really, I only had to make plates for the little boys, Emma and myself. All of my desserts were eaten, and  no leftovers! :( I did try the cheesecake I made...yum! However, I think all of the kids ate something! :)

We had an afternoon service instead of an evening service, and we had the service outside in a tent. The tent was a really cool idea; however, not everyone quite fit under the tent. We happened to be on the outside of the tent, where it was nice and toasty! :) Travis did squeeze in a little nap, which propelled him through the rest of the day. The boys were relieved to hear that we were done with church today, and the first question I was asked was, "when we get home, can we go swimming?" They spent a good chunk of the afternoon in the pool, while Travis and I mowed grass for a bit, while Emma slept. The lawn still needs more cutting, but we did make some progress! :) The boys were thrilled with popcorn and cheese for supper, and then it was Bible reading, teeth brushing, and bed for tired little people.

Sundays are still my hardest day without Roger. I feel like the devil works overtime to try to discourage me, and sometimes it's hard to resist! It was an incredibly long day, but a day filled with thankfulness to those that serve our country, whether it be our military, law enforcement, government officials, or medics, and of course, our heritage. God bless America!

No comments:

Post a Comment