Our family

Our family
Robertson Family

Tuesday, March 17, 2020

March Monotony Turned into March MAYHEM!

Garett is journaling for part of a school assignment 


Well, that escalated quickly! Not even a week ago, I wrote about how March can sometimes seem monotonous! Not even a week later, I seriously wish I had some March Monotony! We went from low-key to mayhem in less than a week. If you're anything like me, you're still wondering if this is a bad dream or what on earth just happened!?

There has never been a moment in my life that I have not been more thankful for God's sovereignty and the many attributes that declare WHO He is...faithful, true, our Rock, Deliverer, strong tower, merciful, slow to anger, full of compassion, loving, gentle, patient, and the list could go on and on! I've spent much time in the last few days reminding myself and our children of WHO God is-real and personal in our lives! I feel like much of our community and world is reeling from the pandemonium over the Corona Virus (COVID-19), and we need to be a light in the world around us. Last Saturday (March 7) we took a family trip to Sam's Club, and ate samples and in the food court. This weekend there is no toilet paper to be found in the county, and I can't think of a single restaurant that is open for in-house dining! Our current world situation reminds me of the story about the little chicken that had a nut fall on her head. Then she went and told all the farm animals that, "The sky is falling! The sky is falling!" She worked all of her farm friends up into a frenzy, until one animal suggested that perhaps she had made a mistake. Does anyone else remember this story?!

Do we need to be careful? Absolutely! Should we avoid having compassion and kindness towards others? Absolutely Not! "Let us not be weary in well doing, for in due season we shall reap if we faint not." We have power that the world does not even know exists...the power of prayer.  If I did not believe that prayer has the power to change lives and outcomes, life would be really bleak indeed. Our world is changing in quick moments lately, but we still have the ability to pray. We have the promise that God hears the prayers of His people-let that encourage you today. I do think it is a time to fast and pray for our nation, and I would seriously ask you to consider doing a fast to take extra time to pray. "If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I  hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and heal their land." Second Chronicles 7:14 I have gotten so much comfort from this verse in recent days. It's my motivation to continue to pray and to intercede on behalf of our children. I am not worried about my future, but the future of our children is where sometimes my faith and confidence can become shaky. God knows- from eternity past to eternity present. Let's not give up on the power of prayer simply because situations seem so bleak. Oh, we serve a big, big God!

Life changed for our entire family just since Friday. On Friday evening, we had a family event at the school to celebrate Maine's 200th birthday. It was a fun time with a  few of our schools families, but little did we know that our school would be shutting its doors come Monday morning. On Saturday, I tried to do my normal grocery shopping, but there was nothing normal about the experience! The shelves at Walmart were unsettling empty, and the lines were crazy long. I felt so bad for the older folks that were trying to do their weekly shopping, as all I could offer was a smile and a word of encouragement. One older man told me that the water was all sold out, so he was going to stock up on beer...oh dear! Another older couple that I chatted with in the empty toilet paper aisle said that they had never seen the likes of the people and empty shelves at Wal-mart. The man made the comment that we better hope the trees get leaves early this year as we might need them for toilet paper! At least we could laugh and chuckle about it, rather than sit there and whine and complain! Travis told me that he already has a stash of pine cones in the woods and we can use those for toilet paper if needed! Emma promptly told him that she was NOT using pine cones on her bum, and that there are ticks out there, Travis! Oh, I'm thankful for moments of laughter and light heartedness. We will be doing some improvising in our meal planning the next few weeks, but none of us will starve!


Empty shelves



Travis’s creative project...no idea what it is! 

Emma’s creative project

My heart had a hard time with this as all the parents lined up to get their child’s at home school packets

Early morning learning

Letters and learning

Chandler is working on another project 

Garett was helping Emma with numbers this morning 

Travis’s working on school this morning

These are truly "Uncharted" waters for all of us, and if I had a choice, I'd choose to not be doing this white-water rafting experience! We met for a staff meeting on Monday with the school staff and the pastor of our church. Given the recommendations of those in leadership, surrounding schools, and our government, it was decided to close the school at least for the next two weeks. The staff spent the day preparing school packets for each student to do work at home. The goal is not to necessarily learn more or new material, but to prevent regression. Everyone is thrown into this experience, and the time to prepare packets and materials was short. We are fervently praying that God will make a way for us to re-open in two weeks, but only God can do miracles...so we trust and pray for that end. Our children were left at home while I went to school to meet with our staff, and to prepare a newsletter and some at-home papers for our preschoolers. I came home for a short while, and then turned around to go back to school to pick up the packets for each of our children.

Teaching five children in five grades for the next few weeks is again a change that I would not choose to make- but again- that's life! I had such a hard time holding back the tears as we pulled into the pickup line of vehicles at the school. Parents were in line to get packets from their child's teacher, and the lives of each of our students was changed this past week. I am so thankful for the work of each teacher to prepare at home lessons, papers, and activities. Garett's teacher is requiring him to keep a journal over the next few weeks. He will write down his feelings, thoughts, and activities during this time. I had already decided that each of our children (except Emma) would keep a journal over this period of time.
 This is history in the making, and someday they will appreciate looking back on their thoughts and feelings...I hope!

This morning marked our first day of "at-home" school. Wyatt was up before six am, to work on his school work assignments. He is a very independent learning, and I don't think he asked me very many questions at all. Travis, on the other hand, was full of questions! He also started immediately on his work when he woke up at 6! I was still trying to finish my coffee and devotions, and Travis is asking me how to spell 500 things, getting out glue for a project, and trying to do his math paper-all at the same time, I think! Anyways, we managed day one. It was a cold and dreary day, so that was a damper on the day. I can tell our children are a bit restless in spirit, and I have to work harder than ever to just remain calm and have patience and grace-something I'm not always good at!

Yesterday, when I was at school working, I gave the kids a few assignments to do while I was gone. One of the requirements was to make something creative...paint, draw, craft, write a note, etc. I had written a note to our preschool families, and the verse I had chosen was "What time I am afraid, I will trust in Thee". Chandler had decided to paint on a seashell while I was gone for his creative project, and the verse he wrote on the shell was that exact verse. It seems very fitting for this time in our lives! It brings great comfort to me to hear my children implement Scripture in their lives or to have Emma walk around singing the Bible songs that she has learned in school. I am thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment