Our family

Our family
Robertson Family

Sunday, May 10, 2020

Day # M.O.T.H.E.R




Drive-in church service 








Mother’s Day 2020 will definitely be a unique one to remember! We attended our first “drive-in” church service today, and while it definitely was not the same as meeting in person, it was different. Today was another chilly day here in Maine, but the snow stayed away. Someone told me that the last it has ever snowed in Maine was May 11th, and this year it snowed on May 9th. I didn’t look up the first fact but it’s definitely a late snow!

I think I would have enjoyed the drive-in service a lot more had it been Roger and I on a date. Imagine sitting in the quietness of your car with a cup of coffee, a donut, and your Bible, and listening to your pastor preach...sounds lovely, doesn’t it? Now imagine the coffee, donut, and Bible, but without the quietness. Instead imagine five children in the back seats of the minivan whispering loudly about who’s touching whom, and “I dropped my pen”, “Mom, can I have another piece of paper?” “Mom, so and so did NOT brush their teeth! Their breath smells terrible!” Do you get the picture?! The truth of the matter is that I am glad we went to the service. I want our children to see that “church” is so much more than an obligation to go to church on Sundays. Instead, we should be actively pursuing a personal relationship with Jesus and loving those around us (that includes your siblings). After the church service, it was good to visit with Robin and Glen for a few minutes, even if it was by shouting at each other from vehicle to vehicle! It was still so good to see them, and my heart was encouraged.

What I envisioned! :) 

What was actually happening! :) 


Happy Mother’s Day! I’ve written an acronym for the word this year. 

M-mission minded- As a mom, I must be mission-minded. Not just for missions around the world or our community, but for our children. I remember one of my college professors telling me to not lose sight of the mission opportunity that God gives to mothers in their own children.  I want to make sure that I am giving them the Gospel and the opportunity to respond. I continually ask the Holy Spirit to guide me in pointing our children to Jesus.

O- Organizer, Others - As a mother, we constantly think of others. Laundry, dishes, and everyday chores can either be something that causes me to become bitter from the monotony, or I can rejoice that I have clothes to wash and dishes to clean (and also teach my children to help!) Organizer- I don’t know of any mother that is not an organizer. Oh, you might not be as organized as you want to be, but as a mom we organize schedules, meals, lists, etc.

T- Teacher- Suddenly this year in mid-March, a lot of moms became their child’s teacher! It might not be your favorite job, but we shove up our sleeves and get the job done. I’d much rather teach my child how to bake, do laundry, or something else, but this year we are school teachers too! Stay the course! (Emma did tell me this week, “Mom, you are not as good as teacher as Mrs. Heanssler. She really is good!) I couldn’t disagree with her because I agree!

H- Helper and Hearer (listener) I don’t know about you, but sometimes I get tired of being the “hearer”. As moms we frequently referee or try to figure out what happened, etc. However, the flip side of that is being the hearer for their hopes and dreams. One of our children, in particular, wakes up in the morning ready to talk about his ideas that he dreamed about. One of our children is much harder to get to open up, so when he does get ready to talk, I need to be ready to listen. I want to guard against being too busy to listen to them, and that really has been one blessing of the past fifty days. We’ve had a lot more time to listen!

E- Earnest in prayer Even more so this year, but being earnest in prayer is something else that is also very important to me as a mother. Sometimes I’ll just talk out loud to God. It feels odd at first, but I want my children to know that I am praying for them. They don’t have to stop what they are doing, because it’s not necessarily a conversation for them anyways. It’s just me talking to a friend. Prayer is my biggest weapon against the attacks of the devil on our children. I want our kids to know that I pray for them, earnestly and passionately and often!

R- Rest I’m not talking about “self-care” because to be honest, I’m not a huge proponent of that. Instead I’m talking about resting in Jesus as in casting all my burdens on Him. It’s easy for me as a mom to think “I need to fix this problem for my kids (or someone else). Or it’s easy for me to not rest in Jesus and worry about the future or other distractions. I need to continually take my burdens to Jesus and find my rest in Him.

This is just my acronym for the word “MOTHER” this year. I’ve written out acronyms for the word in the past, but every year it changes a bit depending on the year. I hope that it encourages you today.




Not sure if the googles help him see better or what?! 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment