Our family

Our family
Robertson Family

Saturday, April 18, 2020

Day # Dump Adventures and a Goosebump Experience

One day at a time! It’s been a very long month...but every day is one day closer! 


Saturday...a day to dress up to go to the dump! Just kidding! However, the dump is one place that we do go to every week! Roger was working today, so Garett helped me with the trash. Actually, I just drive the vehicle. Garett is responsible for putting the trash into the trash bags (you have to use a certain color of trash bags for certain dumping stations). At our dump you have to use purple bags, and a roll of ten bags cost $20.00. So we certainly work to get those bags as full as possible! Garett has become very responsible about gathering up the trash, sorting the recyclables (which is no longer required), and putting all the trash in the van. I am just responsible for driving Garett to the dump. At the dump, Garett takes out the garbage  bags and sorts all the recyclables- except now everything goes into one big dumpster so no more sorting. You kinda get the feeling that the people are the dump are now like, “Forget saving the earth. Dump everything quick and get your germs out of here!” I’m not a fan of masks because you can’t tell if people are smiling anymore!

On the way to the dump, we had an interesting experience. We passed by an older gentleman on the road that was holding out his thumb to indicate that he needed a ride. I NEVER pick up hitchhikers-ever! However, when we passed the older man, I got the distinct feeling that I should stop and see if the man needed a ride. I mentioned to Garett that maybe we should’ve stopped to see if the man needed a ride. Garett looked at me as if I had grown another head, as that is just so out of character for me. We continued on to the dump, dropped off our trash, and headed back home. I still had the distinct feeling that I couldn’t shake that I should see if the old man needed a ride. We passed by him again on the way home, and shortly after we passed him, I told Garett that I was going to turn around and see if the man needed a ride. This was a short, older gentleman carrying a bag of groceries. Garett could’ve easily handled any situation that might have gotten weird. However, I knew that this feeling was of the Holy Spirit, and that we were supposed to help this man. I turned the van around (again) and headed back to where the man was walking. I rolled down the window and asked him if he needed a ride. He was so surprised, but said that he needed a ride about four miles back to his house. He climbed in the van, and explained that his car has been broken down. He had walked down to the local grocery store and was headed home. Listen...I am telling you that this whole situation was of the Lord. As we were driving him to his home, he started talking to me about some of his life story. He was a Christian! He explained to me how he and his wife had homeschooled their kids during their kids schooling years, but then had sent two of his children to a local Christian school. It was not our Christian school, but I know the Christian school that he was referring to. He knew about the school that we send our kids too, and he told about how he felt that these recent events were signs of the end times. I told him that while I totally did not disagree with him, I was still praying the Scripture that states, “If my people, which are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and turn from their wicked way, then will I hear from Heaven and heal their land.” Do I think that these are signs of the end times? Perhaps...but let me tell you that I am storming the gates of Heaven asking God to give us mercy and grace, which we don’t deserve, but I am asking God for those things! The man agreed that we should pray for God to give our land mercy and grace. He was very thankful for a ride home, and the last words he told me were, “We all need to be a witness for Jesus. Thank you for being that.” I still get goosebumps thinking about the whole situation. This was a moment where I could not escape the Holy Spirit’s prompting, and Garett was able to see God at work in a mighty way. I am praying that this example sticks in Garett’s mind as an example of the Holy Spirit at work. When I was telling Roger the story on the way back home, he replied how that he knew that the Holy Spirit was directing me. It’s just so out of character for me to pick up a hitchhiker, and Roger reminded me of the verse in Proverbs...”The heart of her husband doth safely trust in her...” I’m not always so tuned into the Holy Spirit’s prompting, but today God provided a special blessing for Garett and I.

I dropped Garett off at home, and headed to pick up a few groceries. Who am I kidding?! Not a few groceries...a lot of groceries! While I was gone, my friend Renee, dropped off some cupcakes at our house. The kids were thrilled to have a treat, and they enjoyed those cupcakes while mom was grocery shopping. I am thankful for her thoughtfulness.

Surprisingly, I think I managed to get all the groceries we will need for the week. Wyatt does have a birthday next week, but I think I have the ingredients for his birthday supper in our pantry. I was very thankful that I did not have to wait in line at the grocery store as that was a special blessing! I don’t mind waiting, but with all the people wearing masks, it just doesn’t encourage happy conversations while in line waiting! The produce man in the grocery store often recognizes me. Mostly because I always buy the produce that is on sale, and I buy a bunch of it. He recognized me today, but he was wearing a mask. He came over to me just to tell me that he was smiling behind his mask even though I couldn’t see it. He’s an older gentleman also, and I always appreciate it when he points me in the direction of the produce that is on sale- that’s the one I’m always looking for!

Maine coronavirus news: 847 confirmed cases and 32 deaths. 382 have had Coronavirus and have now recovered. So that’s almost half! I told my friend Allison that every day brings us one day closer to the end. Whether the light coming is the light at the end of the tunnel or an oncoming train, we just don’t know yet! But we are just praying with great faith and passion and commitment that God is going before us, beside us and behind us every step of the way! Wow-there is great comfort in that!





No comments:

Post a Comment